Write it Right!
- Traditional Classroom: 1-day
- Virtual Instructor-led: Two 3-3.5 hour sessions; Three 2-hour sessions
Anyone who writes can benefit from this course. People who primarily use email will be more efficient at the end of the program. Those who write more complex documents will learn to simplify those tasks.
- Identify and practice the characteristics of effective business writing.
- Learn and follow the five musts for every document.
- Use a planner to get clear about your purpose and readers.
- Brainstorm to identify major sections and generate content.
- Use a draft map to select only the parts you need for an effective document.
- Gain revision strategies for both simple and complex documents.
- Communicate more clearly, more easily, and more effectively using email tools and etiquette.
Module 1: Introduction
- Focus on how writers learn to write versus how readers read
- Write a baseline document
- Identify the characteristics of effective business writing
Module 2: Five Musts for Every Document
- Must 1: Get clear about your readers, your purpose, and the best channel
- Must 2: Translate your purpose statement into the subject line, a strong opening, and a strong close
- Must 3: Use a tone that supports your purpose
- Must 4: Think four parts to develop perfect organization
- Must 5: Revise
Module 3: Tools for More Complex Writing
- Think of each section as a mini-document
- Use a planner to get clear about your purpose and readers
- Create a draft map
- Brainstorm to identify the major sections and generate content
- Organize by thinking four parts and selecting only the parts you need
Module 4: Revision Strategies
- Use six revision musts for every document
- Write concise paragraphs, sentences, and phrases and use simple words
- Use correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling and check facts
- Use fail-safe techniques to revise more complex documents
Module 5: E-mail Tools and Etiquette
- Recognize the good news and bad news about e-mail
- Be a “we-mailer,” not a “me-mailer”
- Manage e-mail you receive
MDI668 Course Code
For more information on this topic, as well as how Corporate Education Group can help power your organization’s performance, contact us via email or call 1.800.288.7246 (US only) or +1.978.649.8200. You can also use the Info Request Form below!