Develop a Growth Mindset Through Resilience and Grit
- Traditional Classroom: 1-day
- Virtual Instructor-led: Two 3-3.5 hour sessions; Three 2-hour sessions
The body of research connecting a growth mindset and personal resilience to a spectrum of positive life outcomes is growing every day. After being introduced to some of the fundamental ideas of key theorists in the field (Dweck, Duckworth, Frankl, Garmezy), you’ll be guided through an experiential learning journey that integrates personal reflection with application activities.
During this session, you’ll take self-assessments on both resilience and grit, and you’ll create a personal resilience map, pinpointing signature strengths to help you through times of adversity. Techniques for identifying your unique “thinking traps” and limiting beliefs will be explored, and you’ll experiment with perspective shifting and reframing constricting personal narratives. As a class, we will explore how, as human beings, our thoughts create our beliefs, which in turn inform how we experience the world. Collaborative and interactive, this workshop was designed to shed new light on challenges and hidden choices, equipping you with a renewed sense of empowerment and possibility.
This course is targeted toward anyone who is interested in increasing their ability to: perform under pressure, “bounce back” after setbacks, manage stress effectively, reframe adversity as a growth opportunity, and build passion and perseverance for long-term goals.
- Explain how resilience and grit contribute to a growth mindset.
- Summarize the body of research connecting resilience and growth mindset with positive life outcomes.
- Create a personal strength-based resilience map.
- Discover new ways to cope with personal pressures.
- Identify personal thinking traps and limiting beliefs.
- Script a positive narrative for overcoming adversity.
- Plan concrete ways to optimize personal energy levels.
- Create a personal plan for building resilience and enhancing growth mindset.
Assignment: Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance
- Watch this TED Talk by Dr. Angela Duckworth and be prepared to discuss it in class.
- Course Goal and Objectives
- Activity: Time Management Spectrogram
- Participant Expectations
Module 1: Resilience — What It Is and Why It Matters
- Key Definitions and Interrelationships
- Growth Mindset
- Overview of Research and Implications on:
- Health and Wellness
- Work Performance
- Life Satisfaction
- The 4 S’s of Resilience
- Creating Your 4 S Map
- Resilience Self-Assessment
Module 2: The Psychology of Resilience and Growth Mindset
- Identifying the Sources of Pressure in Your Life
- Force Field Analysis — Support and Mitigating Factors
- How You Respond to Adversity
- Grit Self-Assessment
- Learned Helplessness versus Learned Optimism
- Projective Activity: Quotations
- Thinking Traps and Limiting Beliefs
- Rewriting the Narrative
- Perspective Shift
- Changing Your Thoughts, Changing Your Brain
Module 3: Shifting Your Mindset and Behaviors
- The Limbic System and the Amygdala Hijack
- Our Neuroplastic Brains
- Biofeedback and Stress
- Rewiring Emotional Circuitry
- Managing Your Energy Level
- Lessons from Elite Athletes
- Biorhythms and Optimal Focus
- Revisiting Your 4 S Map
- Defining Your Signature Strengths
Summary and Next Steps
- Creating Your Personal Action Plan
Extend Your Learning
Continue the Learning Journey
- In class we will share a variety of learning assets to guide you in learning more, including suggested podcasts, videos, white papers, articles, and books.
MDV1476 Course Code
For more information on this topic, as well as how Corporate Education Group can help power your organization’s performance, contact us via email or call 1.800.288.7246 (US only) or +1.978.649.8200. You can also use the Info Request Form below!