Planning Project Scope and Schedule
- Traditional Classroom: 2-day
- Virtual Instructor-led: Four 3-hour sessions
This is one of four courses in the CEG Project Management Certificate Program. It is aligned with A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide). The course covers project planning within the Project Scope Management and Project Schedule Management Knowledge Areas.
This course provides participants with training and practice in two key tasks in project planning: defining project scope and developing a project schedule. As part of a case study, participants analyze project requirements to produce a WBS (work breakdown structure) that defines what the project deliverables will include. Later in the course, the WBS becomes a key input as participants develop a project schedule. Participants learn that scope and schedule, while important, must be balanced with other competing project constraints.
The Project Management Certificate Program is designed for:
- Project team members, project managers, and managers of project managers who are looking to establish a solid command of project management concepts and techniques.
- Experienced project managers who are looking to formalize their project management knowledge and sharpen their current skill sets.
- Individuals interested in entering the field of project management.
- Individuals whose goal is to take the Project Management Professional (PMP)® Exam offered by the Project Management Institute as part of its standards and credentials programs.
MDP975B Managing Your Project and Its Stakeholders or experience developing a project charter, stakeholder register, and communications management plan
- Select appropriate tools and techniques to define, gather, and document requirements that meet stakeholder needs and project objectives.
- Develop a project scope statement.
- Decompose a project to build a work breakdown structure (WBS).
- Decompose WBS work packages into activities.
- Construct a project schedule network diagram.
- Estimate durations for project activities.
- Perform project schedule calculations.
- Identify the critical path.
- Analyze the schedule for possible compression.
- Summarize best practices for planning project scope and schedule.
Module 1: Overview of Scope and Schedule Management
- Project Scope Management
- Project Schedule Management
Module 2: Define Project and Product Scope
- Identifying Project Scope
- Process: Collect Requirements
- Process: Define Scope
Module 3: Organize the Work
- Process: Create WBS
Module 4: Organize Project Activities
- Process: Define Activities
- Process: Sequence Activities
Module 5: Estimate Activity Durations
- Process: Estimate Activity Durations
Module 6: Develop the Schedule
- Process: Develop Schedule
Module 7: Plan Scope and Schedule Management
- Process: Plan Scope Management
- Process: Plan Schedule Management
- Course Wrap-Up
- Schedule a Small Project
- Create a Requirements Traceability Matrix
- Create a Project Scope Statement
- Create a Work Breakdown Structure
- Create an Activity List
- Create a Project Schedule Network Diagram
- Estimate Activity Durations
- Develop a Project Schedule
- Compress a Schedule
MDV976B Course Code
For more information on this topic, as well as how Corporate Education Group can help power your organization’s performance, contact us via email or call 1.800.288.7246 (US only) or +1.978.649.8200. You can also use the Info Request Form below!