Developing a Project Management Office
- Traditional Classroom: 2-day
- Virtual Instructor-led: Four 3-hour sessions
To compete in the current challenging economic environment, successful organizations are embracing project management as part of their overall strategy to achieve business results. Learn how a properly organized and managed project management office (PMO) can help your organization to achieve business success. Participants will learn how to plan, develop, and manage a PMO to obtain critical buy-in and make significant contributions to your company during the start-up phase and beyond.
Lectures, discussions, and case studies will familiarize students with best practices in implementing and operating a PMO, including knowledge of the types of PMOs and the different functions associated with each type and of the management and staffing requirements of a PMO team.
Senior project managers, program managers, or program directors.
- Develop a mission for your PMO that meets corporate needs.
- Develop communication and staffing plans to make your PMO a success.
- Develop a workable plan to establish a Strategic PMO, or to improve your current PMO operations.
- What Type of PMO do we need? — The difference between strategic and tactical Project Management Offices.
- Relating the PMO to Business Needs — Determine what PMO functions are needed to best support your projects and company organization.
- Services and Business Needs — How to define, staff and manage and effective Project Management Office to support what the business requires.
- Making It Through the Start Up Phase — How to establish and operate a Strategic Project Management Office in your organization.
- Getting Buy-In — The practices and procedures necessary to keep a Strategic Project Management Office contributing value to the organization.
Module 1: What Is the Value of a PMO?
- Why Are PMOs Needed?
- What Is a Project Management Office?
Module 2: Assess the Business Needs for a PMO
- PMO Development Process
- Build a Business Case
Module 3: Develop a Business Plan for the PMO
- The Business Plan
- Determine the Scope
- Determine the Organization Type
- Identify Required Resources
- Evaluate Risk
- Develop a Communications Plan
- Schedule Deliverables
- Determine the Budget
- Other Components
- Obtain Approvals
Module 4: Establishing a PMO
- Steps for Successful Implementation
Module 5: Getting Buy-In for the PMO
- Add Value Quickly
- Measure the Effectiveness of a PMO
- Sell the PMO ’s Effectiveness
MDP118 Course Code
For more information on this topic, as well as how Corporate Education Group can help power your organization’s performance, contact us via email or call 1.800.288.7246 (US only) or +1.978.649.8200. You can also use the Info Request Form below!