Project Management Overview and Scheduling
- Traditional Classroom: 1-day
- Virtual Instructor-led: Two 3-3.5 hour sessions; Three 2-hour sessions
This foundation course is a practical, hands-on, case-study based approach to managing projects that focuses on the principles of project management planning. It provides practical examples of project planning concepts of scope, schedule, and stakeholder analysis. This high-impact project management course provides an overview of key project concepts and terminology and best practices. This course is designed to bridge the gap between theory and the practical use of Microsoft Project. Using a simple case study and hands on techniques, students will learn how the software works “under the covers.” They will learn how to create custom views (including Gantt charts), tables, filters, groups, and reports that will both facilitate data entry and enhance their report generation and presentation capabilities.
Individuals who will benefit from this course include team leaders and team members, project managers, and all professionals seeking to improve their project management skills and knowledge.
- Apply project management methods in the workplace.
- Differentiate the relationships among project management and project life cycles.
- Apply best-practice tools used within your organization.
- Understand the fundamental structure of Microsoft® Project.
- Project Management Framework — as described in A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide)
- Essentials of creating a project charter and tying it to a business case and stakeholder expectations
- The process of project planning, beginning with gathering and documenting requirements, progressively elaborating the scope baseline, creating a work breakdown structure (WBS) based on the project charter and project requirements, followed by the schedule
- Project schedule network diagram — how to create precedence diagrams to show task dependencies, determine critical path, and calculate float using MS Project
Module 1: Project Management Overview
- Project Management Process Framework
- Project Life Cycles
Module 2: Initiating Process Group
- Overview of the Initiating Process Group — Introduce Charter
- Stakeholder Management
Module 3: Planning Process Group
- Overview of the Planning Process Group
- Project Scope Management
- Project Time Management
- MS Project Overview and Application
MDI1040 Course Code
For more information on this topic, as well as how Corporate Education Group can help power your organization’s performance, contact us via email or call 1.800.288.7246 (US only) or +1.978.649.8200. You can also use the Info Request Form below!