Business Process Modeling and Analysis
- Traditional Classroom: 2-day
- Virtual Instructor-led: Four 3-hour sessions
This two-day instructor-led course is intended to provide participants with the knowledge and skills to identify, model, analyze, measure, and document business processes that comply with recognized best practices and that are practical. The focus of the course is on understanding business processes and how to analyze them to identify improvement areas, conduct analysis to develop alternative recommendations with relevant justification, document/present findings and recommendations, and establish a continuous process improvement discipline. Additionally, business process analysis findings/recommendations will be used to illustrate how this effort can be used to jump-start the solution requirements for a proposed technology solution.
Individuals who will benefit from this course include business analysts, business relationship managers, and project managers with business analysis responsibilities.
- Understand how to identify and model current business processes.
- Measure and document business processes.
- Conduct analysis and identify and justify alternative recommendations leading to a process improvement initiative and/or technology solution.
- Participant Introductions
Module 1: Business Process Overview and Essential Concepts
- Business Process Competency — IIBA®, BABOK®, and BRMI® Guide to BRMBOK®
- What Is Business Process?
- Why Is Business Process Modeling and Analysis Important?
- Business Process Redesign
- What Is Lean Six Sigma?
Module 2: Business Process Within the Enterprise Context
- Enterprise Business Architecture
- Business Capability Model
- Business Analysis Life Cycle Context
- Analyze the Business Process Flow Diagram
- Business Process Modeling and Analysis Artifacts Overview
Module 3: Understand the Project/Process Scope
- Conduct Initial Information Gathering — Document Analysis
- Build a Business Context Diagram
- Internal/External Entities
- Information Flows
- Technology Enablers
- Describe the Business Context
- Conduct Stakeholder Analysis
- Understand the Business/Technology Landscape
Module 4: Identify and Structure Business Processes
- Conduct Event Analysis
- Structure the Process
- Process Decomposition Diagram
- Value Chain
- Define the Processes
Module 5: Understand and Document the As-Is Process
- What Is a Process Model?
- What is BPMN?
- Build a Process Flow Diagram
- Describe the Process Flow Diagram
- Identify and Document Business Rules
- Determine Next Steps Based on Project Goals
Module 6: Conduct Process Analysis to Identify Recommendations for Improvement
- What to Look for When Analyzing Process Effectiveness and Efficiency
- Identify Pain Points and Opportunities
- Conduct Root Cause Analysis
- Conduct Force Field Analysis
- Define the Future State and Conduct Gap Analysis
- Document Business Rules via Decision Tree and Decision Matrix
- Conduct State Analysis
- Identify/Document Recommendations for Improvement
- Focus in on Key Recommendations
- Document Recommendations
- What Documentation Is Important?
Module 7: Leverage Process Analysis to Identify Solution Requirements
- Identify Solution Requirements via Use Cases from Pain Point/Opportunity Analysis
- Document Use Case Descriptions in Use Case Inventory
- Document the To-Be Solution Scope
Module 8: Packaging and Presenting Process Analysis Results
- Document Process Analysis Findings and Recommendations
- Develop a Process Analysis Presentation — Executive Summary
Module 9: Continuous Improvement
- What Is Continuous Process Improvement?
- Performance Measurement
- Establish a Continuous Process Improvement Program to Monitor Processes
Module 10: Wrap-Up
- Course Summary
- Personal Action Plan
BAI303 Course Code
For more information on this topic, as well as how Corporate Education Group can help power your organization’s performance, contact us via email or call 1.800.288.7246 (US only) or +1.978.649.8200. You can also use the Info Request Form below!