Growing and Flexing Your Influence
- Traditional Classroom: ½-day
- Virtual Instructor-led: One 4-hour session; Two 2-hour sessions; One 3-hour session
Influencing others is a paramount skill in effectively achieving your desired results and outcomes. But how do you influence others when you lack positional authority? The goal of this course is to enhance your ability to achieve results through developing your ability to positively influence others. This includes influencing up, down, and across levels of power and authority.
Individuals who will benefit from this course include project managers, program managers, business relationship managers, functional managers, leaders, team members, and individual contributors who want to develop their influencing skills to achieve positive results and outcomes.
- Describe specific influence approaches and behaviors.
- Apply influencing approaches to real-life scenarios.
- Leverage a five-step model for successfully influencing others.
- Utilize a consultative approach to actively explore the needs of others.
- Sets goals aligned with your function, business unit, and organization.
- Select and practice your influence skills in realistic situations.
- Read: “Persuading the Unpersuadable” Harvard Business Review article (15 minutes)
Influencing Approaches: BRAIN
- Group Activity: BRAIN Teach-Back
Five-Step Model for Influencing Others
- Prepare Your Approach
- Establish Credibility
- Frame Goals on Common Ground
- Reinforce Your Position
- Anticipate Resistance
Influence Scenario Role-Plays
- Triad Role-Plays: Practicing Influencing Skills
The Importance of Asking... and Listening
- Asking Versus Telling
- Powerful Question Types
- Goal Setting for Influence Discussions
Planning Your Influence
- Influencing Virtually and Through Email
- Using the Influence Planning Form
Summary and Next Steps
MDV1516 Course Code
For more information on this topic, as well as how Corporate Education Group can help power your organization’s performance, contact us via email or call 1.800.288.7246 (US only) or +1.978.649.8200. You can also use the Info Request Form below!