The Art of Managing Up
- Traditional Classroom: 1-day
- Virtual Instructor-led: Two 3-3.5 hour sessions; Three 2-hour sessions
Managing up — this may be the most valuable “soft skill” you will need to “manage” your own career. This isn’t about brown-nosing; it’s about understanding your boss, knowing who you are, and building real relationships with the people who have influence over your career. Managing up done correctly is good for you, good for your boss, and good for the organization. This session gives you strategies for developing these all-important connections and building more than rapport; you will learn how to quickly assess situations and determine which actions will move things forward. It’s a skill that can do more for your career than simply networking ever could.
Individuals who will benefit from this course include anyone from individual contributors to leaders working from leaders.
- Determine what managing up is and is not.
- Identify the key challenges to managing upward.
- Understand the needs and expectations of your manager.
- Utilize strategies for managing up.
- Use influencing and persuasion techniques.
Module 1: Know Yourself
- Your Leadership Style
- What Is Managing Up?
- Understanding Yourself
Module 2: Our Interaction Styles
- Interaction Styles® Self-Assessment
- Interaction Styles® Concepts
- Your Preferred Style
- Know Your Leaders
- Flexing Your Style
Module 3: Strategies for Managing Up
- Provide Solutions, Not Problems
- Understand Your Boss’s Perspective and Agenda
- Be Aware of Strengths and Weaknesses
- Know the Hot Buttons
- Request and Accept Feedback
- Trust, Loyalty, and Commitment
- Understand Preferences and Flex to Them
- Giving Feedback and Influencing
Module 4: What Do I Do When?
- Strategies to Address Specific Difficult Situations
Bringing It All Together
- Action Planning — To Maintain Your Learning Momentum
MDI1412a Course Code
For more information on this topic, as well as how Corporate Education Group can help power your organization’s performance, contact us via email or call 1.800.288.7246 (US only) or +1.978.649.8200. You can also use the Info Request Form below!