Writing and Splitting User Stories
- Traditional Classroom: ½-day
- Virtual Instructor-led: One 4-hour session; Two 2-hour sessions; One 3-hour session
The overall goal of the course is to provide participants with the knowledge to write valuable user stories with acceptance criteria and to prioritize and size the stories. Participants will also discover how to split stories so that they can be completed in one iteration or sprint.
Individuals who will benefit from this workshop include members and leaders of agile teams, especially those involved in writing user stories.
- Identify the hierarchy of the product backlog from vision to epics, features, stories, and tasks.
- Experience writing and splitting stories with measurable acceptance criteria.
- Recognize the importance of a Definition of Done (DoD) and Definition of Ready (DoR).
- Workshop Orientation
- Product Backlog
- Epics and Features
- Exercise: Writing Features
- Splitting Features into Stories
Writing User Stories
- Exercise: Document a Persona for Your Product/Project
- How Do You Know if the Stories are Written at the Right Level?
- Acceptance Criteria
- Exercise: Document Two Acceptance Criteria for Each Previously Written Story
- Discussion: Why and how would you split stories?
- Exercise: For Each of the Defined Feature Write Two Stories with Two Acceptance Criteria for Each Story
- Definition of “Ready”
- Discussion: What should be included in a Definition of Ready?
- Definition of “Done”
- Exercise: Document a Definition of Done
Estimating User Stories
- Relative Sizing
- Exercise: Relative Sizing
- Planning Poker
- Discussion: Pros and Cons of Agile Estimating Techniques vs. Traditional
Prioritizing User Stories
- Prioritizing Techniques
- Discussion: Which would be the best technique for your product/project?
Summary and Next Steps
- Exercise Review Contest
MDV5013 Course Code
For more information on this topic, as well as how Corporate Education Group can help power your organization’s performance, contact us via email or call 1.800.288.7246 (US only) or +1.978.649.8200. You can also use the Info Request Form below!