Simulation of Real World Project Management
- 2.5 CEU/25 PDU/Credits/Units
- MDP460ACourse Code
This is a dynamic and very interactive project management course. Working with proprietary simulation software and a case study that revolves around an entrepreneurial company, you will be challenged to satisfy the needs to achieve an aggressive time schedule and budget, with limited resources. You will work in a team environment to manage the project. Expect issues to arise as you work through a simulation of a real-life project — lack of resources, budget problems, etc. Learn how to address problems that occur on projects and develop solutions to meet the end goal. On the last day of the class, you and your team will present to the class on your findings and lessons learned.
Bring this course onsite for your group or department and customize it to simulate project issues that occur at your organization.
Who should attend
Project managers, project team members or anyone performing those roles. Prior experience as a project manager or working on project teams is required.
There is extensive pre-work for the class which takes 2 - 3 hours to complete. The pre-work must be completed before the start of this class. Registration for this class will be closed 3 weeks before the start date because of the extensive pre-work com
What you will achieve
- The opportunity to strengthen and confirm the skills and knowledge gained in previous project management seminars, as well as real-life work experience
- The ability to manage risk, budget, quality, and the critical path/float schedules
- The ability to spot trends competently and respond positively to dynamic project variables
- The opportunity to practice your effective communication, team building, and motivation techniques
What you will learn
- Analyzing Risk — practice and enhance your knowledge of determining a project plan's areas of risk
- Manage Project Schedule Conflicts — balancing resource availability, critical path, and float
- Preventative Mitigation Strategies — exercise your ability to build proactive contingency plans
- Develop Team Skills — understand and work with personality dynamics both in the simulated project and with your class team
- Enhance Your Interpersonal Skills — an opportunity is provided for you to test your reaction to difficult resource personalities and consider ways to manage them effectively
- Operate Effectively Under Stress — test your ability to weigh many project variables such as schedule, budget, resource "chemistry," resource skill level, resource availability, and risk simultaneously in a compressed time period
- Communicate With Confidence — gain experience to make an effective post-project presentation to management